Teaching by letting people do

Just got in from a concert in a beautifully ornate hall with great
acoustics here in Vienna. A crowd of tourists heardfine musicians play
Mozart while dressed in sort of silly period costumes.

It was really quite marvellous and way more fun than I had expected.

The conductor got the audience clapping under his direction during
several pieces. He let them do what they wanted to do - to applaud and
participate - and as a result he had the chance to teach them subtle
lessons about how to listen and how to take direction.

I wonder who I would lead better if I started by letting them do
something they want to do anyway.

Sent from my iPhone

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Yes" sets for building agreement and manipulation

The hypnotic contract

The fine line between observations, suggestions and commands